Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Playing To Win

Sitting outside with Henry today, I realized something that I expect most experienced parents already know:  

It's easy to get lost in the "solving" part of caring for a newborn, to look at everything as a fire that needs to be put out. I suppose it's akin to what they say can sometimes happen to doctors; they can begin to think only about preventing illness and neglect the cultivation of health. But there's more to life than plugging the dam.

Henry's a person of course, one I happen to like. When he's up for it, there's no reason I can't just "hang out" with him. Today on my balcony he was nice and calm, just kind of looking around like babies do. I talked with him about our surroundings: "Hear that? That's a bird," "The wind is made of air," "Look at that plant," that sort of simple blather. I liked trying to see things through his eyes. It's impossible of course; babies are unfathomable. Still, it was fun.

1 comment:

Mommy2Nick said...

Enjoy these moments! Everything is so new...the sound of leaves rustling in the wind, the feeling of warmth on his skin from the summer sun. Before you know it he will be pointing up to the sky yelling, “plane, plane, plane” spotting the Southwest plane running parallel to Sherman Way, seconds before you do…making you realize just how observant these little guys are! (And how bad our eyesight is getting!)