Friday, August 15, 2008

KG's Dad

KG's dad and his wife came into town the day before yesterday, flying all the way across the country for a quick, one day visit. It was their first ever chance to get aquatinted with Frank's new grandson so we kept our plans fairly simple. In the morning, the two of them took us to breakfast and, afterward, we returned home and basically ogled HG for the remainder of the day. Debbie also took a moment to give us a gift she'd brought with her, a sweet little matching plate and bowl. Very cute.

I suppose it was a typical family visit by any practical measure but for me it was a standout. Frank lives far away and I don't yet know him as well as I'd like.  That said, I find him a genuinely nice, interesting guy. Spending the day together, I took the opportunity to ask him all sorts of things. He was nice enough to tell us a little about his time in the Marines, his experience during KG's infancy, and the fact that he nearly went to law school - something I'd never heard. We even talked music a little, with both he and Debbie getting a good laugh remembering the corny songs of Guy Mitchell. (In Frank's defense, the other artists he mentioned included Frank Sinatra, Little Richard, and The Beach Boys)

Best of all, though, was seeing Frank with the baby sleeping comfortably in his lap, the little guy as calm as he could be. The both of them - charmingly, when you see them together - are the long, lanky type. That and a couple other physical similarities served to remind me of the concrete nature of relationhip. I like that. There is literally a part of KG's dad in my son. 

Frank, Debbie, and The Boy

No comments: