Friday, December 12, 2008

Our Little Sleep Is Rounded With A Life

HG gets up a lot at night, an average of perhaps 10 to 15 times. Obviously this means that KG and I get up a lot too. We're planning to "sleep train" him any day now so we're hoping that these crazy nights will soon be nothing but a blurry memory. At present it's pretty brutal. Still and all, there is one nice thing about it. 

On his current schedule, HG feeds just once between 8:00 pm and 6:00 am. Usually sometime around 1:00 he'll wake up hungry, whereupon I'll get him from his crib and bring him into the bedroom for KG to feed. It's like a little intimate cocoon, this: the lights out, the three of us sleepy-headed and, once he settles down, the only real sound in the room being HG huffing and puffing his way though his midnight snack. 

KG lays on her side as she feeds him and sometimes I curl up with her, placing my hand around her waist and against HG's busy stomach. His little breaths follow one another quickly, for some reason filling me with love. This late feeding is typically a pretty long one, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. KG and I take advantage and chat drowsily about our day.

If you asked me, I don't know that I could recall the actual content of any of these conversations, but the itch they scratch is nonetheless a big one. It's as if KG and I are suddenly "together" again after hours and hours of simply laboring side by side. It's something we both very much need. We did get married to one another after all.

As I was writing this, KG came home from work looking relieved to have reached the weekend, as am I. We chatted a bit and before she asked me, "You know what's nice?"

"What?"

"Being here together - all of us."

Yes.

2 comments:

Ayelet said...

Really lovely post, AD. Sounds like things are going well with you and your sweet little family. I wish you all the best in the new year! Love, Ayelet

Alby D said...

Ayelet! SO great to hear from you! I miss you much and thanks for the encouragement. I'll send you an email, so keep your e-eyes peeled.