Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Love, Dad

KG went back to work this morning, which means today was day 1 of what will likely be a two year stint for me playing Mr. Mom. I thought I should commemorate it with a post.

The day went disturbingly well - I worry about it all being downhill from here - with everything that could go wrong going exactly right. HG didn't cry all day, easily went down for his two 90 minute naps, and ate, slept and played exactly according to the schedule KG and I have set for him. It was the last thing I expected.

My friend Lisa, who is 5 months pregnant, came by for a visit and lent a hand with the baby. Perfect timing, that was (Thanks, LT). Lisa and I have known each other since we were both in grade school and daddying in her presence made me acutely aware of how much fatherhood has already changed me. Top of the list was how shamelessly I exhibit my pride in the little guy. For most of my past, such overwhelming pride about anything was something to keep under wraps. With HG, I can't really hide it.

When my day with him was up, I took him to school, handed him off to KG (who was herself just getting off work), and began my work day. It's a grueling schedule, this, no less for KG than for myself. For perspective, I began the day with Henry at 6:00 AM and got home at 9:15 PM. This is perhaps doable for a day or two or three, but in the long run it'll surely be taxing to the very bones. Honestly, I don't know how I'm going to pull it off. KG said tonight that she plans to work out and meditate every day - act like she's training for the olympics or something. I hope she does. If she can pull that off, she is a better man than I.

You know, sometimes I imagine HG reading this blog in the distant future. I often wonder what he'll be like and I hope that he'll see how much he means to me. When I imagine him reading today's entry and seeing what his mom and I have been through on his behalf, I do so not because I want him to obligingly think highly of us, but because I wish him to know how much he was and is worth. 

I love you, future Henry!

No comments: