Sunday, May 9, 2010

Nasty Fall

HG really banged his head tonight. Scary. We were having a crazy game of hide and go seek, running into his room and out, when he toppled over simply turning a corner. I didn't see the moment of impact but I sure heard it - thwack! KG did too. I knew from the direction he'd been heading that he'd hit his forehead on the doorway to the bathroom.

This was the first time in my experience that he'd fallen in a way that worried me. Fortunately, his responses were what passes for good in these kinds of situations: crying (means he's alert), a big knot forming (injury located on surface, not beneath), and no blood. We decided to keep him up a little longer than usual to make sure he didn't get wobbly, nauseous, or abnormally groggy, which he didn't.

Poor little guy. The bump looks awful. He was a trooper, of course. Within a minute or two he was back to normal, playing games and having fun. If anything was unusual, it was that he seemed curious as to why we were behaving strangely toward him.

I put him to sleep a few minutes ago. We'll wake him up a time or two tonight to make sure it's nothing serious, like a concussion. Other than that, there's not much we can do except keep an eye on him for a while.

Okay, I've got to admit, I'm buzzing a bit. It's hard to shake the worry. Logically, I know it's fine, but my body's not ready to settle down.


No comments: