Saturday, February 20, 2010

To Dos

KG and I are about to take a child-free 24 hours so my sister is taking over HG through Sunday afternoon or so. I'm writing up a little cheat-sheet for her and suddenly thought it would be worth posting. Perhaps years from now I'll read it and see how crazy I was (as my wife was just telling me). Or loving. You be the judge:

------

Hey Gelle,

Again, thanks and thanks and thanks for doing this. KG and I are so excited for our day.

Below is an outline of my typical day with HG. Obviously, it’s nothing you need to follow to the letter. When in doubt, trust the ol’ instincts. Regardless, I expect HG will want to move in with you when you’re done.

Alright, here goes…

MORNING:

He’s been waking up lately at 5:45 AM, but it could be 8:00 or even later if you luck the hell out. He’s never woken up without immediately nursing, so you’re in uncharted waters there. If he’s upset by that or something, maybe try a bottle. Otherwise…

Once he’s up and has shaken off his sleep, change his diaper and put him in some regular day clothes. Then give him breakfast. Typical breakfast is oatmealy cereal with milk (whole, if you got it) and thawed-out frozen blueberries or peaches or strawberries or something like that. If you want, give him his own spoon and let him try to eat it “himself”. This approach is MESSY.

Eggs will work too (tell him you’re making them - he’ll be stoked) with toast (whole wheat, no butter). This he can eat with his hands. Or you can improvise breakfast.

After breakfast, I typically take him for a walk in his stroller. You can do this too if you feel like it, but only if you want (I know you’ve been walking in the mornings). I’ll often go for as long an hour and he’s used to it, so you have room to make it as short or long as you like. He might complain right when you strap him in but he settles down right quick.

Once we’re back, I try to let him run around somehow or do something physical. Outside is best (he loves to play “kick ball” and “pick flowers” or sometimes we go to the park) but if outside’s not feasible, don’t worry. In or out, this usually goes on for maybe an hour. When he’s finished, give him water and a snack, perhaps a banana. After that, you can read or play with toys (blocks are good). This is a good stretch of “whatever-the-hell-he-wants” time. It’s fun.

At 11:00 or 11:30, give him lunch. Afterward, change his diaper (he’ll probably have left you a present). Sometime between 11:30 and 12:30 put him down for a nap.

AFTERNOON:

(This is where KG’s instructions take over. To make a point about how crazy [thorough] I am, she's made them ridiculously simple):

Wake him up by 2:30, if he hasn’t already done it himself.

Give him a bottle.

At 3:00 - snack time.

Between 6:00 and 6:30 give him dinner.

At around 7:00, give him a bath.

Put him in his feety pyjamas.

Give him a bottle.

Put him down around 7:30.

No comments: