Saturday, January 17, 2009

Six Months

Thursday was Henry's six month birthday and I neglected to commemorate it with a post. Needless to say, life has been full of other commitments that take precedence over this blog. That said, here's the latest:

HG is now sleeping through the night more or less regularly. He gets up early sometimes, occasionally wakes up in the middle of the night and cries a touch, but on the balance we've been very lucky that his sleep training has gone so well.

In the couple of weeks since he's been sleeping through the night, I feel as if I have slowly returned to something resembling normal, as it were. It was not really until I began getting a little sleep again that I realized how much its lack had affected me. As little by little my proficiency in all things returns, I can see how much I'd simply been treading water for a good, long time.

Now, for the first time since the baby was born, I am involved in a theatre production. In March, the theatre company I help run is premiering an original work for the first time in years, and as of yesterday, we began holding auditions. For those of you who don't know, this is the kind of work that really makes me happy.  

Doing this while caring for a little baby carries with it unique challenges as you might imagine. Prior to this, I've forgone any work that would demand too much from me. I didn't have the time and the resources. I suppose you could say that HG's sleep training took place just in the nick of time. 

I'm tutoring a ton right now. The late winter and spring months are usually very busy times at what I consider my workity-work job. It's time consuming, of course, but I'm lucky to have a good job that pays well and doesn't completely suck my soul, especially these days with the economy hurting as it is. As Max Ehrmann says in his poem Desiderada:

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a eal posession in the changing fortunes of time.

On the domestic front, the whole family is sick; mom, daddy and baby. I've heard about this sort of thing a lot from other parents but it's the first time I've experienced it myself. But you know who has had the stiffest upper lip throughout? HG, of course. KG and I have been pretty good but he's been better. Lucky us.

No comments: