Saturday, July 19, 2008

It's The Beginning Of The Great Adventure


In an effort to make things easier for my family and 
friends who want the latest news on our brand new son, I've decided to set up a blog and give it a try.  KG is in bed right now and the little one is too, so I've got a minute - but only one - to officially launch this cybership.

All is well.  Myself, KG and the baby are getting used to this new life of ours.  HG came into the world only a few days ago and came home with the two of us on Thursday so there's a myriad of things for the three of us to learn.  The nights are long and bleary-eyed.  Every day something becomes easy that only the day before seemed insurmountable.  So far, so great.


My family's been spectacular.  Over the last couple of days they've pretty much flooded us with love and support.  KG's mom was here too, and I like her more than ever.  I can't really express how lucky I feel for the people we have around us.  The house was absolutely packed with visitors today - ranging in age from less than 2 years old to over 80.  After less than 3 hours of sleep the night before, I definitely made for one lame-ass host, but no one really gave me grief.  The refrigerator is full of food we didn't cook, our place is full of absolute necessities we didn't buy (MAJOR hat tip to Lo-Lo and John - though pretty much everyone's been incredibly generous), and the little guy is getting showered with love for nothing but having made his appearance.

My Mom's a marvel.  I've always known, of course, that she had a special touch with kids, but to see her working her magic on my own child makes my heart ache.  She must feel like some world-class tennis pro at a middle-school match when she observes us finding our parenting feet.  There is no situation - no crying jag, no diaper issue, virtually no baby trick - she isn't a master of.  I'm going to have to start calling her "The Baby Whisperer."

Well, the night is long and I've got work to do.  As Lou Reed's wife says, "It's the beginning of the Great Adventure."

10 comments:

Heather said...

I am so happy for you guys!! He is gorgeous. Drink him up.

Ukulele Baby said...

I am sitting here alone with Joseph and therefore it's up to me to accurately report the silly smile of joy Joseph has on his face. He looks pretty darned good that way. Thanks, Henry!

Unknown said...

Here's to all of it! Just know that others are PROUD of your and Katherine's efforts, sleeplessness, unselfishness, etc. Embrace the joy of taking care of each other!

Laura Franklin said...

He is sooo beautiful. You are both going to be such amazing parents. He is so blessed. I can't wait to come meet him.
Love, Laura, Jack and Shelby

Anonymous said...

Albanert! It's Qanandle! Thanks for the update! please keep this blog going! I know it will be hard to find time but it is such a cool way to keep up to date! Besides by the time he's like 25- it will be like a biography! HA! congrats- get some sleep! Q

Unknown said...

Our love to you and new little Henry Gibson (GREAT NAME!!) We couldn't be happier for you... welcome to the best club in the WORLD!!
hugs & kisses,
Wendy, Matthew, Olivia & Simone

harriet said...

It never ceases to amaze me how one small face can illuminate so many people. Smiles and stares filled the hospital room. I was lucky enough to see Henry on that first day.
What a joy! What a lucky guy!
Your joy has spread all around.
It makes me feel that all can be right with the world.

Anonymous said...

Look at Albert being all sweet and sentimental. Amazing what a beautiful baby brings out. Many congrat.

suzanne henderson said...

From the old parents in Fresno, (Cody's Mommy and Daddy), we send our love.
Our kids just get used to the everlasting and overwhelming devotion we can't help feeling every day of Cody, Shane and Cheyenne's still young lives.
We were transformed when they were born and I can tell that you two are feeling the rush of the amazing array of feelings parenting provides.
Bring Henry to visit!
Suzanne and Dal Henderson

Alby D said...

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and kind wishes. It means more to me than you know. Much love.